Friday, 11 June 2010

Brownies round the world: South Africa


I thought it might be both fun, and useful, to do a series on Brownies around the world - not least because I can go back and scoop up the information when I need it. I'll add to each country if I learn more.

So, to kick off, South Africa - because the football World Cup just kicked off there.

South Africa has a really strong Guiding tradition - like the UK they are celebrating 100 years of Guiding this year.

South African Brownies are called...Brownies!

They have a lot of similarities to Brownies in Britain:

Their promise:
I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to my God
And to my Country
To help other people
And to keep the Brownie Law.

Their law:

A Brownie is Truthful, Obedient and Cheerful

A Brownie thinks of others before herself


They have sixes, with Sixers and Seconds, their sixes include Bushbabies, Dassies,

Duikers, Hares, Squirrels and Tortoises. They can earn interest badges.


And they sing Brownies Bells to close - not quite the same as our Brownie Bells though, it goes:

O Lord Our God, Thy Children call, Teach us to love, Thee best of all.

2 comments:

Kelloggsville said...

I like "Truthful, Obedient and Cheerful" especially the cheerful bit!!

Anonymous said...

its simmalar to ours!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com